We all suffer from writers block at some time or another, but when writing a strapline you may find it hits you harder than ever before. There’s no simple answer to how to write killer straplines; it’s not a ‘just do it’ kind of task.
The trick is to think different, deliver more, and remember – every little helps.
Terrible sense of humour aside, coming up with a strapline is no easy feat. Sometimes it can seem more straightforward to write a 50 page report than a three-word strapline. The most basic reason we struggle is this: simplification is difficult.
To help you find clarity amongst the chaos, we’ve compiled a list of strapline tips:
- Don’t overthink it – simples
- Take time away from the task so you can come back to it with a clear head
- Gather inspiration from your business, products/ services and really think about your brand story
- Use simple terms – you want to be memorable, not challenging
- Don’t try to make it do too much – a strapline doesn’t need to epitomise your entire business
- Research existing straplines to see how businesses are using them in your sector and gather inspiration from the greats
- Think like a poet – If it can be said in two powerful words, don’t use ten
- Make it punchy – Just do it, I’m lovin’ it, Think different – aim for no more than four words
- Brainstorm – don’t just jump straight into writing, make lists of individual words and brainstorm your ideas with colleagues
- And relax – great ideas rarely strike panicked minds, so when it comes to writing your strapline go into it with a clear head
If you need a hand coming up with the perfect strapline for your brand, get in touch!
A bit of fun before you get to work? See how many brands you can identify by their straplines below!
- Eat fresh
- Think different
- Every little helps
- Don’t be evil
- Good things come to those who wait
- Does Exactly What it says on the tin
- Connecting people
- It’s a bit of an animal
- The world’s local bank
- Have a Break
How did you do? Let us know and share your all-time favourite straplines with us on Twitter @CaptainHKSN